While the months of November through January are considered to be the worst time to sell a property, there are some positives to listing during the festive season.
Fewer listings occur during this time, and while showings may slow, buyers looking during this time of year tend to be more serious about buying.
The first thing to determine is whether you really need to list before the new year. If the answer is yes, there are some things to keep in mind. Here are tips to listing during the holidays.
- As with any time of year, hire a great Real Estate Agent. Choosing a good realtor is important no matter when you list, but it’s especially crucial during the holiday season. You want to choose a realtor who will go above and beyond for you, not someone who will be MIA for weeks over the holidays. While it’s great to get referrals from friends and family, hiring someone simply because your brother in law’s little sister’s best friend is a realtor is not enough. You will need a realtor with an active marketing plan for your property targeting motivated buyers.
- Decorating for the season is fine, but wait until after your List Photos. Because things slow down your listing may be active past the new year. That means your list photos need to be neutral. Nothing says ‘stale listing’ like photos with holiday décor mid-January. Ensure any festive décor you put out goes with a neutral palette and is elegant rather than kitschy. Remember, buyers want to envision themselves in the space, so now may not be the time to pull out all of your family heirloom decorations.
- Clean, Clean Clean! Any time you list, cleaning your property until it sparkles is the first “to-do” on the list. While house guests and visitors add to the workload, never leave your house with a buffet table of cookies, dishes in the sink or suitcases on display.
- Put Small Gifts Away, not Under the Tree. While we want to believe everyone is in the spirit of the season, anything that might fit in a pocket is best left away from the tree.
- Remember to Relax and Enjoy the Season. Selling your home is stressful, especially through the holidays. Remember to take a moment to be present. To enjoy family and friends and other blessings, and remember, January is right around the corner.